Wednesday, November 2, 2011

three bean salad









Last night we had soup and a salad bar for dinner.  I've always loved a good salad bar loaded with all the essentials.  My mom made this 3-beean salad when I was growing up and as you can see I replaced the kidney beans with beets.  It turns out my 2-year old loves beets so I'm going to have to double them next time so I get my fair share.

three bean salad (my mom)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper and garlic salt
1 can green beans
1 can wax beans
1 can kidney beans or you can use fancy cut beets
1/4 cup sliced green onion


Mix vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Add beans and onion and toss well.  Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight tossing occasionally.


What I have to say- I like to cut down on sugar anyway but I figured since the beets have a natural sweetness I'd omit the sugar altogether.  Without the sugar I decided to omit the salt.  I loved it this way but if you like sweet, you'll love the original recipe too.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had three bean salad in about 20 years. Will try this. I love beets!

    ReplyDelete