Friday, November 25, 2011

swiss green beans









I have really fond memories of our first Thanksgiving in St. Louis.  Our friends Camille and Rob invited us over for dinner and I'll never forget when our friend Steve walked in carrying a scale.  He said it was tradition in his home growing up that everyone would weigh themselves before dinner then again after dinner.  Whomever had gained the most weight was the winner.  Steve was the winner!

Camille made these green beans and I thought they were the yummiest vegetable I'd ever had on Thanksgiving day.  In fact, I've spent the last several years trying to make them taste the way Camille made them to no avail.  Except I do have to say this year I was pretty close.  They were excellent.

swiss green beans (my friend Camille)
2 packages French cut green beans, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
dash of pepper
1 cup sour cream (not light)
8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated


Melt butter on the stove.  Stir in flour, salt, sugar, pepper and sour cream.  Mix cooked green beans, sauce and most of the cheese together and put in a casserole dish.  Top with the rest of the cheese and put in a 350 oven for 30 minute or until heated through and the cheese is bubbly.

2 comments:

  1. Good times. I've been out of commission for the last week and I am finally feeling good enough to catch up on my blog-perusing. The Gammon tradition of weighing yourself before and after Thanksgiving dinner continued this year. Steve weighed all the kids, but our youngest LOST weight during the dinner. She interrupted our meal with a dirty diaper and now holds the record for the least amount of weight gained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look! I'm famous! Like Jamie, I'm just getting around to checking out blogs... albeit a month later than her! I'm so glad the beans turned out better for you this year. Why is it, though, that I can't remember the scale thing at all?! Did I totally suppress that memory? I can almost bet I didn't participate either, but I'm thinking of adding that tradition to our family - how fun!

    ReplyDelete