Saturday, February 11, 2012

citrus cupcakes (cheater style)










We're hosted a Valentine's party this afternoon.  Before planning this party I had a little chat with my daughter and enthusiastically mentioned all the fun places we could host a party but she said she definitely wanted to have her party at home.  It took me a while to get into the idea of hosting a bunch of crazy kids it but now I'm glad she chose that.  It really is more fun to plan and prepare although I may change my mind several hours from now once the kids have arrived.  Ha ha.
I wanted to have some cupcakes for the kids but didn't want to make them entirely from scratch so I remembered a trick that my friend Mandy told me which is: she sneaks a can of mandarin oranges in the mix to freshen up the cupcakes.  I did that then added some more powdered sugar and lemon extract to the icing for a delicious cupcake. 

citrus cupcakes 
1 box white cake mix
11 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 tub white icing
1 teaspoon lemon extract
powdered sugar

Prepare white cake mix according to directions using a hand held mixer.  Add a can of mandarin oranges and continue to mix until the oranges are broken up and combined.  Pour into cupcake liners and bake according to package directions.  Allow to cool then ice.

Icing:  Combine 1 tub white icing with 1 teaspoon lemon extract.  Add powdered sugar until you get a good consistency that will allow you to pipe the icing onto the cupcake and hold it's shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment