Friday, February 3, 2012

butternut squash soup









Since I planned to serve leftovers last night for dinner I thought I should jazz up our meal a little bit by cooking up something new.  I has some beautiful diced squash in the fridge so decided to use it up.  Besides, my family loves soup.  I wasn't sure how well squash soup would go over but it went over quite well.  My husband loved it and three out of four of my kids ate it.  That's pretty good, isn't it?

butternut squash soup (allrecipes.com)
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (save yourself the hassle and buy it at Costco already prepared!)
1 (32 ounce) contianer chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and squash 5 minutes or until lightly browned.  Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 40 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.  Return to pot and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment