Tuesday, April 8, 2014

asian chicken salad with wasabi dressing









Hall of Fame!  I wasn't exactly trying to recreate the salad I enjoyed at The Painted Pony (although I haven't stopped thinking about it) but by golly this salad is outstanding.  It reminds me of eating sushi which I love to do but making sushi is such a production- and never tastes restaurant quality!  I'd rather make this salad- it's a snap to throw together and just as satisfying for me.  Next time I'll add some sliced avocado and some red leaf lettuce (like the salad we had at The Painted Pony) but for today I'm completely and totally satisfied.

asian chicken salad with wasabi dressing (adapted from Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller)
bagged shredded iceberg lettuce
bagged baby spinach
bagged coleslaw mix
scallions, chopped
cilantro
sliced cucumber
sliced celery
grilled chicken, grilled then refrigerated (yesterday I grilled chicken breasts sprinkled with Pappy's seasoning)

wasabi dressing
1/4 cup Kikkoman's wasabi sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 

I enjoyed this salad served salad bar style!  Place salad ingredients in separate bowls.  Layer the salad: spinach, shredded lettuce, coleslaw mix, etc. ending with the chicken followed by the cilantro. 
For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together.  I enjoyed a generous amount of dressing on my salad.  I would say the dressing serves 4.

2 comments: