Wednesday, January 23, 2013

greens with gorgonzola and proscuitto









Let me introduce you to a salad that really packs a punch- my new favorite salad.  My kids would say it is full of stinky cheese.  I love stinky cheese.  The stinkier the better.  My friend Angeli made this salad for gourmet club today and let me take home the extra cheese and dressing.  We're friends for life.

greens with gorgonzola and proscuitto (my friend Angeli)
5 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
5 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
about 1/2 cup vegetable oil (heat to medium-high then cook prosciutto until crispy.  Drain on paper towels)

dressing
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher or coarse-grained salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup olive oil
1 generous pinch dried oregano

To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients except for the oil and oregano in the jar of a blender.  Blend until smooth then with the blender running, add the oil in a steady stream.  Turn off the blender, add the oregano and pulse 2-3 times or until combined.  Set aside while preparing the salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment