Thursday, March 8, 2012

maple snack cake









Sometimes I bake or cook things thinking my kids won't like them and am surprised by how much they really like them after all.  This was one of those recipes.  They loved  this cake, especially the icing.  I love pleasant surprises!  Next time I think I'll add just a touch of cinnamon to the icing.  Mmmm!

maple snack cake (Cooking Light Magazine, March 2008...I've had this recipe in my "to make" binder for 4 years! )
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray

maple frosting
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon whipping cream (I used milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted 

Preheat oven to 350.  To prepare cake, combine first 5 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour, baking soda, 1/4 cup pecans and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Add syrup mixture to flour mixture; stir until well blended.  Pour batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely on wire rack.
To prepare frosting, combine sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons syrup, cream and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (I did this with a whisk and needed to add a bit more milk since I used milk).  Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake; sprinkle with pecans.  Yield: 16 servings

What I have to say- I doubled this recipe and baked it in the baking pan that is larger than a 9x13 (not sure of the dimensions).  Baked it for 30 minutes and it turned out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment