Friday, March 16, 2012

four layer dessert









This evening my youngest daughter asked me how to celebrate St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.  I told her we'd celebrate by eating leftovers of our four layer dessert.  That's my best idea so far and it's a pretty good idea because this dessert is good.  The crust is yummy and I especially liked the cream cheese layer.  I'm pretty sure this was the first time my kids have ever tried pistachio pudding and they liked it.  You can also make this desert with lemon pudding, chocolate, vanilla, etc.

four layer dessert (slightly adapted from blog: Brown Paper Packages)
3/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1 1/2 cups flour

layer 2
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 large container Cool Whip 

layer 3
2 (3 ounce) packages instant pudding
3 cups cold milk

layer 4
1/2 large container Cool Whip (original recipe calls that you make your own from whipping cream with a little powdered sugar and vanilla

Combine crust ingredients and press into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes then let cool.  Beat the cream cheese until smooth and then add the powdered sugar.  Fold in the Cool Whip until  it's completely incorporated, then spread the mixture on top of the cooled crust.  Mix pudding and milk until thick then spread on top of the cream cheese layer.  Spread the rest of the Cool Whip on top.  Sprinkle with nuts or sprinkles.  Refrigerate until time to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Yum! We call this "Lush" and always make it with chocolate pudding. I will give the pistachio a try!

    ReplyDelete