Wednesday, January 4, 2017

world's best lasagna



















No joke- I think this really is the world's best lasagna.  Over 10,000 people at allrecipes declared it 5 stars.  My husband is sure it's the spicy sausage I used, which was my idea. :)  My entire family enjoyed this dish and my husband typically doesn't enjoy lasagna, nor two of my kids.  They kept remarking that it tasted like pizza.  My oldest was eating it out of the pan as I was trying to put away the leftovers.

world's best lasagna (adapted by allrecipes.com)
Note:  I made it simpler and lower in fat.
2 pounds hot chicken Italian sausage
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sugar (I used 1 Tbsp sugar substitute)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
10 no-bake whole wheat lasagna noodles (see image below)
16 ounces ricotta cheese (I used fat free)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.  Stir in crushed tomatoes, paste, sauce and water.  Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and half the parsley.  Simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours.
Combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To assemble, spread 1 1/2-2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Arrange 5 noodles over meat sauce.  Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.  Top with a couple handfuls of mozzarella cheese.  Spoon 1 1/2-2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.  Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil.  To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake an additional 25 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment