Tuesday, May 31, 2016

sugar cookie bars










I made these sugar cookie bars for a big Memorial Day BBQ that we hosted.  I feel like after several years we finally broke in our home with this party in a big way.  Red, white & blue, music, lots of food, friends, volleyball and kids running wild.  I love to make sugar cookies because they remind me of my Grandma who loved to make them but they take a lot of work. This recipe makes sugar cookie making a breeze.  I added lemon extract to this recipe to make them more like my Grandma's recipe and love the finished product.  I'm a believer.

sugar cookie bars (adapted from Cupcake Diaries
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups flour 

1 tub vanilla icing
1 teaspoon lemon extract
sprinkles

Grease a standard rimmed cookie sheet (12x17) and set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar on medium speed.  Add eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to be incorporated into the mixture.  Add vanilla; mix well.
Add salt, baking soda and flour and continue to mix well.
Press dough evenly into the greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes until lightly golden.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Mix the vanilla icing with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.  Spread over the bars.  Cut into squares and eat.  Serves 36-40.


No comments:

Post a Comment