Wednesday, May 8, 2013

thai red curry and beef soup









This soup is fantastic! I wish I could say it was a family favorite but my youngest two stuck with plain noodles this time...which is okay with me because now there are plenty of leftovers for my lunch today.  I kept the noodles separate because I anticipated my younger two would prefer plain noodles.  Next time I will also make some whole wheat angel hair pasta for me to put in my instead of the rice noodles.  Excellent soup.

thai red curry and beef soup (adapted from Real Simple,  March 2013)
8 ounces rice noodles
1 pound thin sliced sirloin steak, cut into strips (I used 2 pounds)
1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, cut in half then sliced
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cups chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (we didn't have any)
1 tablespoon lime juice
fresh basil

Cook noodles.  Brown onion, sweet potato and steak in oil.  Add chicken broth, coconut milk, red curry paste and fish sauce.  Simmer until potato is tender, 8 minutes.  Stir in the noodles and lime juice.  Serve with fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment