Tuesday, May 7, 2013

paleo southwestern grilled chicken salad









I made this salad for lunch today between making two batches of homemade strawberry jam.  I did not expect this salad to be so good.  Take a look at the ingredients.  So simple with no added oil or fat yet it was bursting with flavor.  I wasn't sure about the canned tomatoes but trust me, it works!  This salad has a kick to it which I enjoyed but if you're not into spicy I would shy away from Rotel tomatoes.
P.S.  I'm not sure I should admit this but this salad served one...me!  Followed by a whole wheat bagel.  Obviously I am not a paleo dieter.  But you don't have to be one to enjoy this salad.

paleo southwestern grilled chicken salad (adapted from Makobi Scribe
1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cubed
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups romaine hearts, thinly sliced
1 medium Hass avocado, chopped (I used half to cut down on fat)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 can Rotel "mild" tomatoes with green chiles 

Combine lime juice, garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Add avocados and stir gently.  Toss romaine in gently until completely covered with sauce mix.  Plate the salad and top with the grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment