Tuesday, April 9, 2013

baked egg rolls

















I feel like I am on a roll with finding great recipes for this week!  These egg rolls are outstanding.  My kids have been eating the kind you buy at Costco and bake in the oven.  They are pretty artificial tasting and I don't like biting into an eggroll and feeling like grease is dripping from my lips.  These are FRESH and delicious.  This is a Martha Stewart recipe and she got the proportions just right.  We'll be making these again and again.  Hooray for delicious egg rolls!  The filling is delicious over basmati rice too...in fact I prefer to eat the filling that way.

baked egg rolls (Amy's Cooking Adventures
1/4 cup soy suace
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar (original recipe called for 1 tablespoon but I thought 1/2 was perfect)
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 nappa cabbage shredded, about 4 cups shredded (I used prepackaged angel hair cabbage)
2 medium carrots, grated (I used prepackaged grated carrots to save time)
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
salt and pepper
1 pound ground pork
5-6 green onions, thinly sliced
egg roll wrappers, about 21
1 large egg, beaten 

In  small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and ground ginger.  Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the cabbage and carrots.  Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender.
Add the garlic, ground pork and soy sauce mixture.  Cook until the pork is cooked through and the liquid has cooked down.  (I drained my mixture).
Stir in the green onions and move the mixture to a baking sheet to cool for about 15 minutes.  Once cool, press the mixture with paper towels to sop up any excess moisture.
Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling mixture slightly off center in the eggroll wrapper.  Tuck the nearest corner around the filling.  then bring the two short corners in toward the center.
Brush the remaining corner with the beaten egg.  Then roll the egg roll tightly, sealing the wrapper with the egg washed corner.  Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.  Serve with sweet and sour sauce or hot mustard.

What I have to say- my kids apparently aren't as enthusiastic about "healthier" food as I am.  As I took a bit of an egg roll they said, "Be sure to chew it well mom.  It's pokey."  While they would prefer them fried, I still prefer them baked.




2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious!! Can't wait to try this one. Thanks Camie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsy- my long lost friend even though we live in the same town! One of these days we'll have to get together!

    ReplyDelete