Friday, September 28, 2012

cinnamon cranberry oat bars









It was my turn to take snack to preschool so I chose these cinnamon cranberry oat bars.  They are delicious!  I did not press them firmly enough into the pan so I ended up with fall-apart bars but they are so flavorful and yummy our family sure didn't mind.  We had to eat a few before taking them to preschool to share.  I watched my youngest two literally lick the huge bowl I used, faces inside the bowl.
Note: they are free of nuts, dairy, eggs and soy.  If you use gluten-free oats and gulten-free rice krispies they will also be gluten-free.

cinnamon cranberry oat bars (Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Oct/Nov 2012)
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar

In a large bowl, combine the oats, krispies, cranberries, flax, 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and honey; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and salt.
Stir in oat mixture; toss to coat.  Press firmly into a 9-inch square pan coated with cooking spray.  Combine sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over bars.  Cool completely and cut into squares.

What I have to say- I had never bought flaxseed so I was so excited to!  I bought flaxseed whole instead of ground so I couldn't use it.  Talk about disappointed!!  Maybe that's one of the reasons my bars wouldn't hold their shape??

No comments:

Post a Comment