Friday, August 31, 2012

ham & pineapple kabobs









I liked these the first time I tried them either my freshman or sophomore year of college while taking an appetizers class.  I marked "very good" in the cookbook that was required of us to purchase.  They are pretty tasty!!

ham & pineapple kabobs (cookbooke: Mable Hoffman's Appetizers)
40 (3/4-inch) cubes cooked ham (I used black forest from Costco)
1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained or fresh
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup currant jelly (I had to go to my fancy grocery store for it)
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel

Arrange ham and pineapple alternately on twenty 6-inch bamboo skewers; set aside.  In a small saucepan, combine chili sauce and cornstarch.  Stir in jelly, mustard and orange peel.  Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.  Preheat broiler or grill.  Place oven rack 5 to 8 inches from heating element.  Place a wire rack in a broiler pan.  Arrange skewered ham and pineapple on rack; brush with jelly sauce.  Turning and brushing with sauce several times, broil about 3 minutes until hot.  Arrange broiled kabobs on a large platter; serve warm.  Makes 20 appetizer servings.  Serve with hot rice or cold macaroni salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment