Monday, April 2, 2012

homemade butterscotch pudding












If you haven't ever tried homemade butterscotch pudding, you should definitely try it.  It tastes real unlike the store bought kind that you simply add milk to or spoon out of the cup.  My mom just gave me a subscription to Taste of Home magazine and I have a rule of thumb- I have to try at least one new recipe from each magazine that comes in the mail so I started with this one.  It was very rich for my kids but they ate as much as they could.

homemade butterscotch pudding (Taste of Home, February/March 2012)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups 2% milk
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter, cubed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
fresh whipped cream, optional

In a large heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients.  Stir in milk until smooth.  Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.  Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.  Remove from the heat.
Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan.  Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.  Remove form the heat.
Stir in butter and vanilla.  Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Transfer to six dessert dishes.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled.  Garnish with shipped cream if desired.

What I have to say- don't let my goblet fool you; there's 2-3 servings inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment