Saturday, August 3, 2013

plum jam












My kids picked no less than 35 pounds of plums, I kid you not.  My kids and I rolled up our sleeves and got to work.  One of my daughters, the one who adores jam the most, cut all the seeds out of them and placed them into the Vita-mix and then we started the day-long process of turning each and every little plum into jam.  Tasty, tasty jam.

plum jam
6 cups plum puree
8 cups sugar
1 package pectin
1/4 cup water

Wash the plums.  Cut the seeds out of the plum (or break open the plum and pull out the seed; we thought using a knife was faster- my daughter thought a knife was more fun).  Place the plums in a blender.  Blend away!  Place 6 cups of plum puree into a big canning pot.  Add 1 package pectin and 1/4 cup water.  Stir and cook until plums come to a rolling boil.  Add 8 cups sugar and stir.  Bring back to a rolling boil.  Boil for 1 minute.  Now you're ready to pour your jam into prepared jars.  Process the jars for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I read you used your Vitamix. How do you like yours. I'm getting one for my birthday. Can't wait. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete