Tuesday, July 31, 2012

orange cream ice cream









Grandma Anne got this recipe from her visiting teachers or home teachers and served it after our delicious lunch of grilled salmon while we were in town.  Nobody could guess the flavor right away but it tasted a bit tropical; we could taste the citrus for sure.  Now all I need to do is figure how to make this recipe in my Cuisinart.  If you figure it out before I do let me know!

orange cream ice cream (Grandma Anne)
for 4-quart freezer
6 oranges, juiced
2 lemons, juiced
(use a total of 10 to 12 ounces combined)
4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can evaporated milk
1 to 2 pints of whipping cream
whole milk

Mix orange and lemon juice with 4 cups of sugar and salt and set aside until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently for first hour then occasionally after that.  Add almond extract.  Add evaporated milk.  Add whipping cream.  Fill ice cream container to the top with whole milk if mixture is not enough.  Freeze in ice cream maker (I think if I were to use my Cuisinart then I would simply pour into my frozen container and press start and the ice cream would be ready in 25 minutes!).
If using a standard ice cream maker, "mellow" ice cream for 2-4 hours with 1 part salt 4 parts ice then while making ice cream, crush ice finely and mix 1 part salt 8 parts ice (whatever that means!).  Making ice cream sounds like a pain without a Cuisinart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment