Tuesday, July 24, 2012

oatmeal-raisin bars












These were inspired by the 5 pound box of oatmeal I bought yesterday as part of my recent health kick.  Although these oatmeal-raisin bars are not healthy, they are delicious.  Really, delicious.  While I will stick to my plain oatmeal with fresh fruit (and love every bite, feeling incredibly healthy) my family will love me for these.  And if you're the cook you can't help but love a bar cookie.  Soooo easy to make.  So what are you waiting for?  Go get yourself a 5 pound box of oatmeal and some raisins to go with it.  Then tell me you love me.

oatmeal-raisin bars (Martha Stewart)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup flour
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.  Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugars, egg, salt and cinnamon until smooth.  Add flour, oats and raisins; fold in just until combined.
Spread batter in prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes.  Cool completely in pan.  Using paper overhang, lift onto a work surface; cut into 16 bars.

1 comment: