Monday, February 10, 2014

cuban pork sandwich










I've always wanted to try a cuban sandwich and tonight was the night.  They were a hit.  My family enjoyed theirs on nice fresh ciabatta rolls but I had mine on a toasted whole wheat english muffin.  My youngest daughter asked if we could have them again tomorrow- I think it was the roll that won her over.
Next morning important update:  I just had a sandwich using my leftovers but with sweet pickle relish instead of the dill pickle.  This took the sandwich to almost Hall of Fame!

cuban pork sandwich (adapted from Women's Day)
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
4 1/4-inch thick pork cutlets
1 medium onion, sliced
8 thin slices Swiss cheese
8 thin slices black forest ham
4 ciabatta rolls, split
sliced dill pickles
light mayo
mustard

Heat grill.  Mix the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of pork cutlets.
Grill cutlets and onions 3 minutes, turning cutlets and onion slices over once, until cutlets are cooked through and onions are slightly charred and crisp-tender.
Fill each roll with 2 slices each cheese and ham, 1 cutlet and 1/4 of the onions and pickles.
Return to grill for 1 or 2 minutes to melt cheese, if desired.

What I have to say-  As the cutlets and onions grilled, I opened up our ciabatta rolls and laid them on a cookie sheet and put a slice of Swiss on each then baked them at 300 degrees.  When the cutlets and onions were finished cooking I put the sandwiches together.



No comments:

Post a Comment