Saturday, February 23, 2013

spicy potato wedges









Scrumptious!  Before I left for the grocery store my oldest asked if she and her friend could make some homemade chocolate pudding to which I agreed.  While on aisle 9 she texted me and asked if we had any chili powder.  I wondered what the chili powder was for- they were for these babies.  When I got home they were nice and hot and delicious.  Maybe it has been a while since I've had a french fry (it has) but it tasted really good.  All 7 of us had our hands over the plate full of potato wedges.  The original recipe called for sweet potatoes but my we didn't have any so my daughter substituted red potatoes.

spicy potato wedges (my daughter found this recipe in her cookbook Cooking Fun by Rae Grant)
4 big red potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste (she halved the black pepper 1/4 teaspoon)

Place rack in the middle of the oven.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place a sheet of foil on the bottom of baking sheet.
Scrub potatoes well under cold water using a vegetable brush.  Pat dry with clean dish towel.  With adult help, cut the potato in half lengthwise then cut each half into 6 wedges.
Place the potatoes in a large bowl.  Add the oil, salt, chili powder, and black pepper and toss until the potatoes are evenly coated.  Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes.  use a spatula to turn the fries, then return baking sheet to oven to bake 10 minutes longer, or until crisp and brown.  Serve hot.  Serves 4 to 6

No comments:

Post a Comment