Tuesday, June 16, 2020

100% whole wheat french bread











I decided to try a bread recipe I love but a whole wheat version since I avoid refined grains as much as possible (my family is another story).  This bread is so soft and delicious!  I pulled out my homemade strawberry jam and sunshine jam and the family really enjoyed it.  They prefer the white french bread but with jam they'll eat whole wheat! :)
Note:  With the leftover loaf I think I'll make a big hoagie sandwich.  My kids will love that.  They love big, long Subway-type sandwiches and won't mind the whole wheat at all with all the fixings!

100% whole wheat french bread
makes 3 loaves
2 1/2 cups very warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur brand)
2 tablespoons yeast

Note:  You can make this bread using a standing mixer but I like to make it by hand.
Pour yeast into a large bowl.  Slowly pour very warm water over the top.  Add sugar, salt and oil.  Let stand 5-10 minutes until yeast softens.  Add flour 2-ish cups at a time until you've added 5 cups and stir well.  When you are unable to stir well with a spoon, begin kneading in the bowl until dough is soft and flour is well incorporated and you can take the blob of dough out of the bowl and knead it on the counter top.  Continue to add flour until a soft dough forms.  Place back into the bowl and let rest 10 minutes.  Punch dough then let rest 10 minutes.  Repeat until you have punched the dough 5 times.  After the final 10 minutes divide the dough into 3 balls.  Use your hands to roll the balls into long rectangular bread shapes.  Brush tops with olive oil.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment