Tuesday, March 30, 2021

green curry lentils

 








We moved a couple weeks ago.  I am in LOVE with being in my new city.  The people are simply wonderful, the weather is gorgeous (at least right now; I anticipate a beastly hot summer) and it just feels right.  The town is super clean and manicured which I really wanted.  My parents are so nice to let us stay with them while we look for a home of our own with a swimming pool.  My mom has been enjoying having someone else do all the cooking.  She's not used to eating so many new flavors and food combinations but I think she's more than ok with them.  My dad is surviving, LOL! :)  These lentils are SO good.  I love the Thai green curry involved in this recipe.

green curry lentils (slightly adapted from minimalist baker)
2 tablespoons oil
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 shallot, sliced (I used two green onions)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 tablespoons green curry paste
1 1/4 cups coconut milk (I used light)
1 teapsoon curry powder
1 pinch both salt and pepper
1 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice (I used 1 teaspoon sugar)
1 pinch cayenne
2 tablepoons lemon juice

Heat large pot over medium heat.  Add oil, jalapeno, ginger, shallot and garlic.  Saute 3-4 minutes.  Add curry paste and stir to coat.  Saute 2-3 minutes.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Once simmering add lentils, soy sauce and sweetener.  Add cayenne and stir.  Simmer 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender (took my lentils double the time).  Add lemon juice.

2 comments:

  1. I’m intrigued by this recipe. What did you serve with it? I wonder if my family would eat it? 🤔

    So glad move went well and you’re enjoying your new area. I hope you find a gray home quickly. If not, feel free to come visit us and use our pool this summer... would love to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I served it with chicken thighs seasoned with the curry rub I recently posted, steamed jasmine rice and roasted veggies (roasted purple cabbage is a new favorite).
    I hope you like it! And I hope our dream home appears on the market any day now and that nobody fights us for it.😋

    ReplyDelete