Wednesday, October 7, 2026

crockpot spicy queso ground chicken chili

 










I substituted ground chicken for the ground beef and really, really enjoyed this chili.  I added a sprinkling of cheese, dollop of sour cream and dash of hot sauce after the photo was taken- I wish I'd done that before because it looked even better!  

crockpot spicy queso ground chicken chili (adapted from half baked harvest)
2 pounds ground chicken
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (28 ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste (I just realized I forgot this!  I'll just make it again!)
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (I used medium hot)
1/3 cup hot sauce (I omitted so we could add our own as we like it)
2 bay leaves
salt
2-3 cups chicken broth
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can mixed chili beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped green onions
avocado and light sour cream for serving

In a large dutch oven set over medium heat, brown the meat all over, breaking up the meat until cooked through.  Transfer the meat to the bowl of your crockpot.
Add the onions, poblanos, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and cayenne.  Mix in the tomatoes, tomato paste, hot sauce and diced chilies.  Pour in 2 cups broth.  Add the bay leaves, season with salt.  Stir to combine.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Towards the end of cooking, stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and beans.  Cook until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Ladle the chili into bowls.  Top as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment