Sunday, January 16, 2011

mushrooms and brussels sprouts











These mushrooms were simply divine. Really. They took me back to when my husband and I were dating. He took me to the Chart House in Pacifica, CA. A fancy restaurant on the water. My eyes bulged at the prices and it was one of those places where you pay for each and every item ordered. I believe that is called a la carte. I was a school teacher and my husband an undergrad. I wasn’t sure he’d picked the right restaurant. But it was my birthday. We ordered a side of piping hot mushrooms and our main dishes. I think I got salmon and he got a steak. They were the hugest pieces of meat I'd ever seen. I remember this meal so vividly because I was sure he was going to propose. He didn’t. He waited at least 4 more months. Four long, agonizing months. He ended up proposing at Mt. Tamelpais while eating Subway sandwiches which was perfect. We'd dated a little over a year. I'd have married him after the first date.

mushrooms and brussels sprouts (Everyday Food, Jan/Feb 2011)
¾ pound cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and halved or quartered if large (I used baby bellas)
¾ pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise (quartered if large)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 teaspoons oil
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms and Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on lower rack until golden brown and tender when pierced with a knife, 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Love the story. Loathe brussel sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, then you've got to try the mushrooms. We're not big mushroom fans but they really are worth trying. Hey- why don't you try the mushrooms on your blue cheese burgers and tell me how they are. Probably to die for. When and what time did you say the burgers were on the menu?

    ReplyDelete