Wednesday, May 11, 2016

one pot mexican style chicken noodle soup










Don't get me wrong- I love the sunny, wonderfully perfect weather we've been having but this soup suddenly had me wishing it were a little bit more gloomy and damp- you know, the usual.  This soup was awesome and my kids kept going back for more.  I did too.  Funny thing- I was just at my friend Shonda's house and she showed me her Picky Palate cookbook.  I told her I thought I'd made a recipe recently from that blog.  Turns out it was earlier today! :)

one pot mexican style chicken noodle soup (Picky Palate)
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
4 cups cooked thin noodles (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 cup salsa verde, mild (I used Herdez brand)
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a little water (I try not to use oil unless I have to!).  Cook and stir for about 10 minutes until slightly softened.  Stir in chicken broth, chicken, noodles, salt, pepper, garlic salt, cumin, salsa verde, lime juice and cilantro.  Simmer on low for 15 minutes then serve.  Makes 8 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment