Tuesday, March 29, 2016

carolina-style pulled pork sandwiches









I had to text my sister who lives in South Carolina and tell her I was trying this recipe for the first time.  My house smelled divine for hours while it cooked all day.  I love this alternative to the typical pulled pork that I make.  I really enjoyed the hint of sweetness and mustard flavor.  Since I stay away from sugar I refrained from pouring some BBQ sauce over the top but that's what my family will do, for sure!  This made a great afternoon snack and I'll have another for dinner. And maybe one for dessert. ;)

slow cooker carolina-style pulled pork sandwiches (adapted from For the Love of Cooking
 4 pound boneless pork roast

rub:
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 2 tablespoons Splenda)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 large sweet yellow onion, cut into large chunks (I used a red onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced


sauce:
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon white sugar (I used Splenda)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

misc:
toasted whole wheat buns
shredded lettuce or prepared coleslaw
bbq sauce


Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray.  Combine the brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, pepper and ground mustard together in a small dish.  Mix well until combined; rub evenly over the meat.
Place the pork into the slow cooker.  Add the onion chunks and garlic.
In a bowl mix the ingredients for the sauce.  Pour over the pork in the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 6-8 hours.  Shred the pork.
Make a sandwich on whole wheat buns and top with shredded lettuce or prepared coleslaw and barbecue sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment