Wednesday, November 26, 2014

slow cooker latin chicken










That's how dinner tonight looked before cooking and after cooking.  This dish was delicious!!  I will write the recipe according to the way it should be prepared but at the end I will show you how I made it healthier and with frozen chicken instead of thawed.

slow cooker latin chicken (allrecipes.com)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 pounds skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 cup hot salsa
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (I omitted because I am sometimes uncertain about this spice)
3 cloves garlic, minced
cornstarch
lime wedges for serving
sour cream for serving

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet; season the thighs with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro over the chicken thighs; brown both sides of the chicken.
Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.  Place the sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, and black beans on top of the chicken.  Mix together the chicken broth, 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, salsa, cumin, allspice and garlic together in a bowl; pour into the slow cooker.  Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours.  Garnish with lime wedges and top with sour cream.


HERE'S HOW I MADE IT:
I'm not in my twenties or thirties anymore so no chicken thighs for me!  I put frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and followed the rest of the directions except I cooked it on HIGH for 5 hours.  At the end I took some of the broth out and thickened it with some cornstarch to make a gravy and poured it over the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment