Sunday, July 13, 2014

melissa's berry peach cobbler










My family recently went to a reunion in Colorado.  One of the highlights was getting to stop and see my friend Melissa and her family on the way.  We were blessed to get to know them when we were living in what Melissa calls "the armpit of America" which is funny because she's from there.  We got to go to church with them then went to their home for "lunch".  What it really was was a huge feast- grilled steak & shrimp, grilled keilbasa, burgers and hot dogs, grilled zucchini & summer squash, grilled asparagus, grilled corn, watermelon, cherries,berry peach cobbler and homemade ice cream.  I'm not so sure Ryan left anything at the store when he shopped for our lunch.  Everything was amazing but what was even better than the food was seeing our dear friends.  I miss them so much!
I didn't try the cobbler because I don't eat sugar but my husband said it was amazing.  We'd never seen bread torn then placed in a cobbler but the topping that was spread onto the bread magically turned it into a pastry.
P.S.  That was my first visit to Colorado.  I love it there- what a gorgeous, clean state.  I'd move there in a heartbeat. :)

melissa's berry peach cobbler (my friend Melissa in Colorado)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour, heaping
1 egg
1 stick butter, softened
6 slices white bread
fresh peaches and berries

Slice peaches and place in a bottom of a 9X9 baking pan.  Fill 1/3 to 1/2 off the pan with peaches and fresh berries.  Sprinkle peaches lightly with sugar.  Cut crusts off bread and cut each slice into thirds (long-way).  Place bread slices on top of peaches.  Mix remaining ingredients well and pour batter on top of bread.  Spread.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with ice cream.

What I have to say- Melissa doubled the recipe and made a 9x13.

No comments:

Post a Comment