Friday, January 3, 2014

TGIF Broccoli Cheese Soup









Whenever I buy a veggie tray we always seem to have leftover broccoli so I thought I should make some soup.  I chose this recipe then thought myself very clever as I realized while I chopped the broccoli that today is Friday!  We even had exactly 8 slices of Velveeta singles in the meat drawer from when we made McMuffins the other day.  It was meant to be.

TGIF Broccoli Cheese Soup (from my Hershey Ward cookbook, Sheri Lyn C.)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup half and half (I used milk)
8 slices Kraft or Velveeta singles
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried minced onion (I used 1/2 small onion)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups broccoli florets, bite size

Combine chicken broth, water, half and half, flour, onion and pepper in a saucepan.  Wisk really well.  Turn heat to medium high.  Bring soup to boil then reduce heat to low.  Add crumbled up cheese slices then broccoli and let simmer 15 to 20 minutes until broccoli is tender.  Pour into bowls and serve with shredded cheddar cheese.

What I have to say- the soup was very smooth and I love that it doesn't use a stick of butter.  I looked at a lot of recipes to find one I wanted to make and most used at least 1 stick of butter and/or heavy cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment