Saturday, November 16, 2013

roasted spinach chicken









I knew this wouldn't be my kids' favorite but sometimes I don't cook for them (it's not as mean as it sounds).  When one of my kids asked what was for dinner our eleven-year old guest overheard and exclaimed, "I love spinach!".  She's a keeper, that eleven-year old.  The chicken was moist and the spinach was incredibly flavorful; even my husband appeared surprised.  Why is spinach so scary to some?  It's food!  And as this recipe demonstrates, it can taste delicious.  I really was amazed by this dish.

roasted spinach chicken (adapted from Tales of an Overtime Cook)
1 large onion, minced
1 pound frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon (I used 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons salt plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus extra for sprinkling
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (used extra large)

Preheat oven to 375.  Finely dice the onion.  Mix together with the spinach, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.  Set aside.
Clean the chicken and pat dry.  Spread half of the onion and spinach mixture in a prepared 9x13 baking dish.  Place the chicken breasts on top of the spinach mixture then spread the rest of the mixture over the chicken breasts.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1 hour at 375.  After an hour, remove the foil and raise the temperature of the oven to 425.  Bake for an additional 30 minutes.  Serve with rice.

What I have to say- delicious!  If you mix a little of the spinach with the rice on your plate you're in for a real treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment