Tuesday, April 30, 2013

roasted vegetable panzanella









My friend Lindsy said I ought to try this recipe so I did.  This recipe is outstanding.  So fresh, so delicious...and you don't even have to follow the recipe!!  I looked at the recipe and there were just too many steps for me to deal with so I just did my own thing using the ingredients called for except I added asparagus because Lindsy did (I happen to be a copy cat). I also cut down on the oil because that's what I always do.

roasted vegetable panzanella (adapted from 71 toes)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 crusty baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used 2 whole wheat english muffins)
3/4 pound cherry tomatoes
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
1 pound lightly salted fresh mozzarella, diced (will you forgive me if I tell you I chopped up a few sticks of light mozzarella string cheese?  it was great!  not a huge fan of fresh mozzarella)
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil (do not attempt this recipe without FRESH basil!)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper.  Set aside.
Take out a giant cookie sheet.  Place the cubed bread on a section of it, place a tomato section on it, a green bean section and an asparagus section if you choose to use asparagus.  Drizzle with up to half of the olive oil (I did not drizzle the bread).
Roast in the oven until veggies start to turn golden.
While they roast, add the vinegar and capers to the leftover garlic and oil combo.  Add a little more salt and pepper.
Put the green beans, tomatoes, toasted bread, mozzarella and basil in a large bowl then drizzle with dressing and stir to combine well.  Let stand 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to develop, then stir just before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment