Saturday, March 2, 2013

protein oatmeal pancakes











I couldn't not try these pancakes.  They're packed with good stuff!  I even pulled out my Vita-Mix and ground the oatmeal to make these pancakes (and sort of felt like the Little Red Hen; this was my first time grounding anything).  These pancakes are hearty and delicious and we all ate them in different ways.  My husband poured on homemade blackberry syrup (not so healthy), some of my kids spread homemade strawberry jam on top, some put jam on top then topped them with bananas.  I poured a little no sugar added maple syrup on mine and then I made a few pancakes with blueberries which I thought ended up being the best!  This is my new go-to pancake recipe.  See you later, Krusteaz!

protein oatmeal pancakes (Yummy Mummy Kitchen)
makes about 6 (4-inch) pancakes
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I doubled the recipe and used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon stevia powder (or sweetener of choice)
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
2 large egg whites (I used Egg Beaters)
2/3 cup fat free milk (actually I ended up using less, I prefer a sturdy pancake to a floppy one)

Place oats, flour, salt, baking powder and stevia in the bowl of a food processor or blender.  Process until oats are finely ground.  Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in yogurt, egg whites and milk  Add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
Heat a skillet coated with cooking spray (okay, I'll admit I used butter) over medium high heat.  Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into the pan and cook until bubbles start to pop on the surface of the pancake.  Flip and continue to cook until golden brown on the other side and cooked through.  Continue



Heat a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles start to pop on the surface of the pancake. Flip and continue to cook until golden brown on the other side and cooked through. Continue until all the batter is used up. Serve with syrup, honey, agave syrup, yogurt, and/or berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment