Saturday, January 26, 2013

caramel puffs












My mom sent this recipe to me after making it for her colleagues.  She said they went nuts over it.  Of course she works with teachers and teachers LOVE food.  This recipe is originally for Corn Pops but I bought the wrong cereal by mistake so today we had Caramel "Puffs" instead of "Pops".  The kids at my house today didn't seem to mind the mix-up.  They were a big, big hit.  Maybe I have a house full of future teachers?

caramel puffs (my mom)
8 ounces Malt-o-Meal Golden Puffs or Barrel O' Fun Corn Pops
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda


Place Golden Puffs in a very large bowl.  Set aside.
In a saucepan combine butter, corn syrup and brown sugar.  Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.  Remove from heat.  Add 1 teaspoon baking soda to cause foaming (this will allow for proper coating of puffs).  Pour caramel "slurry" over puffs and stir until properly coated.
Bake in 250 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and pour onto waxed paper.  Break apart before puffs cool to desired piece size.

Modification made by my mom's friend (for a clear glaze):
Substitute granulated sugar for brown sugar.  Boil mixture for 3 minutes before pouring over the corn pops then cook for 10 minutes, stir, then cook for 10 more minutes.  Continue with the recipe, pouring onto waxed paper then breaking apart.  This method prevents browning and produces a nice clear glaze.  (I have not tried this version)



No comments:

Post a Comment