Monday, December 31, 2012

homemade blackberry syrup









My visiting teacher Starley dropped by with a box of chocolates and a bottle of homemade blackberry syrup last week.  I knew exactly what I would do with that syrup!  I made my friend Dee-Anna's puff pancakes with fresh whipped cream and poured the syrup on top for breakfast on Christmas morning.  Breakfast was a success!  This syrup is fantastic and Starley was nice to share her recipe with me so I can make it this summer.

homemade blackberry syrup (or any berry) (my friend Starley)
1 cup berry juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Boil one minute.  Put into clean jar.  Seal with caning lid.  Turn upside down for a few minutes to heat lid.  Can double, triple, etc.

What I have to say- this is not the first time a grandmotherly woman has given me a canning recipe only to find out they have not canned the way I know- in a water bath or pressure cooker or steamer.  I have always been apprehensive about the old method but hey- they seem to end up living longer than anyone else I know so it must be safe!  And to not pull out all that canning equipment is GREAT!  There's no excuse now. : )
  

No comments:

Post a Comment