Saturday, November 3, 2012

store bought favorite: carrol shelby's chili kit












This has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl.  My grandma used to make Carroll Shelby's chili all the time.  There are stories about she and my grandpa and how they would make this chili while serving missions in Switzerland.  My grandma would make a giant pot of it then she and my grandpa would call their mission friends and tell them to bring a bowl and a spoon and come have a bowl with them.  My grandparents became very popular.  How I loved to go over to their home for Sunday dinner.

carrol shelby's chili kit
I got my kit for about $2.19 and there are suggestions on the back of the box of how you can make your chili.  My grandma always used ground beef, onions, diced tomatoes and kidney beans but I did something a little different this time.

Here's what I did to make a hearty, no-bean chili that was delicious and sooo tender:
2 pounds steak meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, diced
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 red bell pepper, diced 
seasoning packets in the box

Brown the meat and onions in a pan.  Pour into a large crock pot.  Add chiles, pepper, green chiles, tomato sauce, 2 cups water and seasoning packets in the box.  An hour before you're ready to serve, stir in the masa flour.

What I have to say- this recipe is gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment