Monday, February 6, 2012

southern pulled pork

















I recently made dinner for a friend as she and her family returned home from a funeral.  I get nervous sometimes when I cook for other families because I don't always know what they'll like.  I decided to play it safe and since I knew her husband wanted to get into town and watch the Superbowl while eating dinner so I decided to make southern pulled pork on rolls, simple cole slaw, velveeta & rotel macaroni and pan de chocolat.
I kept some pulled pork without bbq sauce for myself and enjoyed it great that way.  I poured some bbq sauce in the rest because that's how my family enjoys it.
Go ahead and make a large batch!  I can't wait to make green chile enchiladas tomorrow with the leftovers that I saved without bbq sauce.

southern pulled pork (adapted from allrecipes.com)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
5 pounds boneless pork roast
2 1/2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
2 1/2 medium onions, chopped
10 cloves garlic, crushed
5 cups water
2 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring (next time I'll use more)

Cut the pork into large chunks.  Season generously with cajun seasoning.  Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork, and brown on all sides.  Remove from the skillet and transfer to a slow cooker.
Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until tender.  Stir in the water scraping the bottom to include all of the browned pork bits from the bottom of the pan, then pour into the slow cooker with the pork.  Stir in liquid smoke flavoring.
Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or until meat is falling apart when pierced with a fork.  Remove pieces of pork from the slow cooker and shred.  Return to the slow cooker to keep warm while serving.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a recipe for the green chile enchiladas? I thought I'd skip straight to those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have an exact recipe but they taste the same every time. I buy some Las Palmas green chile enchilada sauce (the big can- Giant doesn't have it so I always had to go to Walmart). I mix some enchilada sauce with the pork to moisten it then add shredded mozzarella cheese or jalapeno jack cheese until it looks cheesy enough for my taste. I add a 4 ounce can of green chiles and sometimes some chopped green onion. Roll the filling up in whole wheat (or white) tortillas and put in a 9x13. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top then sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly. MY FAVORITE!!!

    ReplyDelete