Tuesday, January 24, 2012

meatball and spaghetti soup









My kids love meatballs so I thought I'd give this soup a try.  I usually do not make recipes that call for ground turkey or I substitute it for ground beef or ground chicken but I decided to go ahead and try it.  Glad I did.  This is such a nice, comforting soup and quite tasty as well not to mention quite healthy!  This is a soup I will make again and again, especially on a cold, rainy day.  We've had a few of those lately.

meatball and spaghetti soup (slightly adapted from Skinnytaste)
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 chopped garlic cloves, divided
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/2 onion, chopped, divided
6-8 tablespoons tomato sauce (I used marinara sauce)
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
6 ounces dry cut up spaghetti (I used whole wheat)

1 pound ground turkey
1 small egg
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon basil

In a soup pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth, water, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, 1/4 of the onion, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh black pepper to a boil; simmer about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining ground turkey, cheese, egg, remaining garlic, remaining onion, remaining parsley, breadcrumbs,  1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Form into little 1-inch balls.
Drop meatballs into the broth, cook about 3 minutes; add pasta and cook according to package directions.  Add basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated parmesan cheese.

What I have to say- the turkey I bought came in a 2-pound tray so I doubled the recipe and froze half.  It will be so easy to pull out the next time I'm in the mood for a nice bowl of soup.

3 comments:

  1. How do the meatballs not fall apart? Because they are small? Think ground chicken would work? Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic is my guess. :) The meatballs turn out beautifully and I am sure ground chicken would work just as well.

      Delete
  2. I made and loved the flavor! I think it may have been so good because I used fresh stock I had from a roasted chicken. But love love love it. Shannon

    ReplyDelete