Saturday, July 9, 2011

cherry chocolate cake









I took dinner to a friend tonight and we enjoyed the same meal at our house.  I forgot how good this layered chicken and bean enchilada casserole is.  We had mexican marinated carrots on the side and I made this cake for dessert.  I had been chatting with my friend Erin on the phone and she said she had the greatest meal the other night.  She told me about the main dishes which sounded splendid but laughed when I asked about the dessert.  Yes, it's simple but it's GREAT!  I think I'll be sure to have a chocolate cake mix and can of cherry pie filling on hand.
P.S.  The next night we ate leftover cake with a scoop of ice cream on top and leftover icing warmed and melted then drizzled on top.  That's the way to do it!

cherry chocolate cake (my friend Erin K. found it at allrecipes.com)
1 (18.25) package chocolate cake mix
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix with a spoon (not an electric mixer) the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract until moistened.  Spread into a 9x13 greased pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
To make frosting, bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute.  Add chocolate chips; stir until chips are melted.  Pour frosting over warm cake.  Cool.

2 comments:

  1. Did you bake in a 9x13 inch pan (like the recipe calls for) or a bundt pan like the picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made mine in a bundt pan. When my friend recommended this recipe she said I could a 9x13, bundt or make a layered cake.

    ReplyDelete