Thursday, June 23, 2011

crunchy-topped cocoa cake












We celebrated my mom's birthday early since my kids and I are flying out tomorrow. My mom's favorite has always been German chocolate cake so I decided on this version. I'll never try another. This was a great recipe. Everyone licked thier plates clean and my mom (who is always on a diet) grabbed another slice since it was her birthday. I can't remember when my mom wasn't on a diet while growing up. I always knew she was being silly even as a really little girl. I still think she's being silly.






crunchy-topped cocoa cake (cookbook: Easy Baking Hershey's Cocoa)


1 1/2 cups flour


1 cup sugar


1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa


1 teaspoon baking soda


1/2 teaspoon salt


1 cup water


1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil


1 tablespoon white vinegar


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


broiled topping, below


Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 8-inch square pan (I used round). Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinear and vanilla; beat with spoon or whisk until batter is smooth and well blended (I used a hand mixer). Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare broiled topping; spread on warm cake. Set oven to broil, place pan about 4 inches from heat. Broil 3 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.


broiled topping
Combine 1/4 c up softened butter, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans), 1/2 cup MOUNDS sweetened coconut flakes and 3 tablespoons light cream or evaporated milk (I used heavy whipping cream) in small bown until well blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment