Sunday, May 15, 2011

crockpot brisket









Our family often needs meals that are ready for us to eat when we come home from running around.  This is an incredibly flavorful meal and we poured the gravy over mashed potatoes. My kids absolutely loved it- this was their kind of meal (they like to mix the meat, potatoes and veggies and pour the gravy on top).  This was my first time preparing a brisket.  Next time I will definitely use a roast as briskets don't seem to cook up as tender.

crockpot brisket (blog: Home Based Mom)
3-4 pound brisket (use a beef roast instead)
yellow mustard
one package Lipton's Onion Soup Mix (or make your own, recipe below)
1 cup water

Place your brisket in your crock pot and squirt yellow mustard over the top. Mix one package of Lipton's Onions Soup Mix with one cup of water and pour over brisket. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes.

What I have to say- I used Grey Poupon's spicy brown mustard and instead of using a packet of Lipon's I used a copycat recipe for food that's a little more pure. I'd do it the same next time! I'm pretty sure you could use any kind of roast for this recipe.

copycat lipton's onion soup mix (food.com)
3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to a 1 1/4 ounce package. To make onion dip, mix 5 tablespoons with one pint of sour cream.


3 comments:

  1. We use Lipton's Onion soup mix all the time . . .I'm so happy to find this copycat recipe! Definitely a keeper for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ease of crockpot cooking! This looks like a good one! Do you know about how much mustard you used to cover the meat? Just a little or a pretty good covering?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used about a tablespoon to tablespoon and a half. I wish I had more in the fridge for breakfast this morning!

    ReplyDelete