Friday, April 1, 2011

lemon butter cookies









My kids are having a couple neighbor friends over for dinner tonight so I thought I'd make some crisp cookies to go with the orange ice (sorbet?) I made for dessert. I'd never made this recipe and the photo made them appear crisp but they aren't. They're pretty light and non-crispy for lack of a better word. That's okay because they're still tasty little cookies. Just ask my kitchen "helper" who ate about a dozen of them.

lemon butter cookies (cookbook: Kitchen Aid A Guide to Great Baking)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
additional sugar

Place butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and mix about 15 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape bowl. Mix on speed 4 until fluffy, about 1 minute. Turn to stir speed and add flour, lemon juice and peel, baking powder and salt. Turn to speed 2 and mix until well blended, about 30 seconds. Cover bowl; refrigerate dough about 2 hours or until firm.
Remove about 1/4 of dough; return remaining dough to refrigerator. Roll out dough on well-floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with a 3-inch round or fluted cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sugar. Repeat with scraps and remaining dough, baking cookies as baking sheets are filled.
Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store in airtight container. Yield: 40-50 cookies (mine are about the size of half dollars)

What I have to say- I'm pretty sure you don't need to use a Kitchen Aid for this recipe. I must say after having paid around $450 for our Kitchen Aid 10 years ago I haven't been as impressed with this machine as I thought I'd be. I actually prefer my hand held mixer because I don't have to scrape the sides of the bowl as much and getting "stuff" out of the beaters is easier. When it comes to kneading dough I don't mind doing it myself. I have to admit it does look cool on my counter and it makes me look like I mean business in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment