Saturday, March 19, 2011

orange rolls









My husband described these as "light and fluffy with a citrus zest". Ever since he stayed with my friend Erin's parents in Portland and was served orange rolls I've had orange rolls on my mind. While this isn't the recipe he had on his trip, this is a great recipe. And hey- it's from Portland! I love the spirals. I baked some in muffin tins and some like a traditional cinnamon roll. Either way they are delicious.

orange rolls (blog: Home Based Mom)
2 packages yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot water
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup flour
3 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Dissolve and cool the sugar, shortening, salt and hot water. Mix eggs and 1 cup flour well and add to sugar mixture. Add yeast mixture and remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 4 hours before serving roll out like cinnamon rolls and spread with:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
rind of 1 orange

Mix and spread on dough. Roll up dough and slice about 1 inch thick. Put in greased muffin tins and let rise 3-4 hours. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Spread with glaze made of jice of the orange and powdered sugar.

What I have to say- my "glaze" was a true glaze but next time I'll add more powdered sugar so it's more icing like just like Leigh Anne did at Home Based Mom. I was impatient and wanted to get eating! Also, I only let them rise for an hour. I think that was plenty. We were able to make 1 1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment